Education is one of the most important activities of the centre. It includes summer and winter schools, various short courses, network master and PhD programmes as well as coordination of the various kinds of academic exchanges between the partner universities in all BRICS countries.
Academic exchanges represent one of the first steps in organizing collaboration between the universities. The centre supports exchanges of students, professors and researchers between the partner institutions.
We see short courses as important instrument for promoting activities of the centre and for attracting attention of the wider public to BRICS studies. Doing business in BRICS is a model case for such a course.
One of the important educational activities of the centre is holding international winter and summer schools both for the students and for the young scholars, interested in various aspects of the BRICS countries. Our focus here is twofold: Russian studies on the one hand, and BRICS studies on the other.
Russian studies summer schools are the most successful ones in Ekaterinburg and are mostly focused upon the studies of Russian society, language and culture. The students get a chance to know better real Russia of Ural region – the heart of Russian economical, industrial and innovative development. One of the schools is organized in collaboration with our partner: Higher School of Economics (Saint-Petersburg). This school under the name of Demidov Express involves also a guided 2 days train journey from Ekaterinburg to Saint-Petersburg.
BRICS studies summer schools are devoted to various aspects of the development of this club of the countries as a whole as well as to some comparative studies of the individual countries involved. Particular attention is paid to the various issues of the development of emerging economies. Here we seek collaboration with our partners worldwide and organize exchanges of the students between similar schools in Ekaterinburg and in other BRICS countries. Thus, in 2015 we are going to start such exchanges with BRICS studies centre of Fudan university, one of the best academic partners of UrFU.
The educational programmes of BRICS studies centre would lead the students through fascinating intellectual journey to the most interesting countries in the world: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
International 2 years master programme in BRICS studies is the main centre of our educational activity and, as such, the main axis of BRICS studies at Ural Federal University.
The programme is organized in the framework of Global Educational Initiative of BRICS University League and presupposes wide academic exchanges with similar programmes of the partner universities in BRICS countries. The name of the programme is BRICS countries in the Globalizing World.
As such the programme is devoted to complex comparative studies of BRICS countries. The special attention is paid to the following themes:
· Interdisciplinary methods of research. This includes both usage of such specific methods as statistical methods, modeling, case-study, etc. and analysis of the general disciplinary approaches of political geography, political science, theory of international relations, history, as well as of other cognate disciplines;
· BRICS countries and current global issues. The topic comprises such important issues as sovereignty in post-Westphalian world; BRICS countries in multipolar world-making; current challenges to economic, environmental, energy, and information security of the states as well as cooperative methods of dealing with those challenges; terrorism; proliferation of weapons of mass destruction; control over dual-use technologies and intangible transfer of technologies; migration and inter-cultural tolerance;
· BRICS countries in global economics and politics including relations of BRICS and other new international organizations (SOC, IBAS, MERCOSUR etc.), political relations of individual BRICS countries with the rest of the world, economic regulations within BRICS, financial policy in BRICS countries etc. Special attention is paid to the specific forms the political and economic modernities take in individual BRICS countries and to the related specificities of their modernizations.
The main working language of the programme is English. In the course of study, the student is supposed to choose one of the BRICS countries as her/his major, and to study in one of the partner universities of Global Educational Initiative of BRICS University League in the chosen country for at least one semester. International experience through study abroad period in the chosen country, thus, is considered as an integral part of the master programme.
The graduates of the programme will be ready for the following main types of professional activity:
· practical and organizational activity at government-run and private enterprises, including bodies of state administration and intergovernmental organizations, as well as in financial sphere, in energy companies, in industry, trade, and transportation companies of BRICS countries;
· expertise and analysis, that envisage knowledge, skills and abilities to analyze and forecast trends of development for concrete economic sectors of BRICS countries, to assess market environment for commodity items, to evaluate economic links of these countries, activities of companies and organizations;
academic research of theoretical and applied problems of the development in BRICS countries; design and use of databases on different aspects of social, economic, and political development of BRICS countries, including specific features of their political and economic systems, law, and culture
© Federal State Autonomous Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education «Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N.Yeltsin»