Advanced research lies in the heart of the activity of the BRICS studies centre. On the one hand, being an integral part of the Institute of Social and Political Sciences, the centre is focused mainly on the topics in sociology, economics, philosophy, international relations, area studies, politics, psychology, linguistics and other disciplines of socio-political spectrum. On the other hand, the centre is seen as one of the channels of organizing partnerships in all disciplines of the shared interest, including IT, mathematics, natural sciences and engineering.
That is why the research events are not limited by the topics of the own research interests of the centre and are rather concerned with collaboration of the universities and research centres of BRICS counties in all possible fields.
Research, promoted by the centre, is focused upon the topics, considered to be most important for the emerging economies of BRICS countries. That is why the centre is providing analytical and expert support for all scientists and scholars, interested in organizing joint and network research projects with the colleagues from the other BRICS countries. For this purpose the centre establishes and maintains collaborative relations with universities, research centres, associations and network programmes in BRICS countries. Especially important are the relations of the centre with BRICS Universities League, BRICS Network University as well as various BRICS studies centres in all BRICS countries.
· Applied research and analytical support for the BRICS foreign policy of Russian Federation, especially in education, science and innovations. The centre provides support to Russian Ministry of Education and Science and will take an active part in preparation of the documents for future BRICS summits
· Comparative education: comparison of the current trends in the development of the systems of higher education in BRICS countries. The research in this sphere is especially important in the context of the attempts of the universities of BRICS countries to enhance their international visibility and competitiveness.
· Comparative research in modernities. One of the most important research topics of the centre is the images and forms the modernity takes in different BRICS countries. The research is based on methodology of the analysis of plural modernities as it was developed by one of the academic co-directors of the centre, Prof. Peter Wagner.
· Emerging Economies Studies. One of the important topics to focus upon in the context of BRICS studies is a theme of the risks, opportunities and problems of the raising markets and emerging economies. The issues are treated as complex ones, the study of which involves advanced research in economics, demography, sociology, politics etc.
· New international organizations and clubs of the countries. BRICS countries represent a club of the growing countries with an intricate system of coordination. Here BRICS is studied as an international organization in its relations to the other clubs of the countries, such as SOC, IBAS, MERCOSUR etc. as well as in the context of its impact in the multipolar world.